Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Symbol of Unity


Hola,


I mentioned that on Mother's Day, we went to Falls Lake to hang out as a family. I became curious, as I looked around at our fellow lake go-ers, about the fact that there are certain things in life that unite people, or at least, there are some things that are common interests, that break cultural and racial divides. Going to the lake, watching your children have fun, conversation, and family, are some, just to name a few.


And grilling.


As the families gathered and enjoyed one anothers' company, I stalked them carefully, growing more and more curious. My stake-out began, first, with just my eyes. My glances became stares, eventually causing a reaction in my legs, which led me to their picnic tables, and soon my mouth was spitting out some words about some blog I write and how my curiosity of cultures leads me to do bold and brash things, and before I knew it, I had whipped out a camera and started taking pictures of the grills that unite a common interest in all people - food. Now, I didn't mean for it to be some cultural anthropological study on cliche foods people eat, but it was kind of funny to see the stereotypical foods on the grills of the families of different races and cultures. I fought with the idea of whether it would be offensive to display the foods based on peoples' background, but then I realized something. Stereotypes, obviously, exist because there is some truth to them. I think in our day and age, where it has become detrimental to one's character if they are not politically correct or sensitive about their opinions, that the actual word stereotype has taken on a negative connotation. I understand that in order to quell some of the harsh realities of discrimination, groups have worked hard to fight what is considered a negative stereotype about them, and in many cases, has resulted in positive and necessary changes. But in this case, I see these grills as examples of pride in each owns' culture and history. Do Black people eat a lot of chicken? Yes, we do eat a lot of chicken, and I don't know why we eat so much damn chicken, and I don't exactly know if there's a historical reason behind it that I'd like to get into right now, but since when did it become offensive to be associated with chicken? Besides, as you'll see below, rather than a simple stereotype, I see the picture represents what that particular woman learned, perhaps at the side of her mother, watching and learning as a child, the secrets to her flavorful family recipe dish. The Mexican family eats flour tortillas, not bread, with their meals, because it is part of their inherent upbringing, remembering their abuelas kneading dough and warming the circular concoctions on the heavy, cast iron skillet. Some stereotypes do prove to be cruel and untrue, but there are some that exist that are true to the nature of the groups they represent, and should indeed serve as a reminder of the beautiful history of each culture. After all, a stereotype is not dreamed up overnight...why do we work so hard to erase the ones that are representative of who we are instead of embracing them as part of who we are?



So, FYI, all of that was just a disclaimer to allow me to make fun of the some-to-be perceived stereotypes below. Besides, I'm allowed to comment on the following because I represent each group of people, in some way or another, so, try to find the humor in it.




Let's start with our grill. We were eating short ribs, infused with homemade chimichurri. This stuff, and we have proof from other "testing" panels we've conducted amongst friends and family, is the best seasoning around. It really adds great flavor to beef and chicken, and man, inject it into a turkey and fry it for Thanksgiving and you'll never go back to slaving over roasting one for hours and hours. It's so good, we're seriously thinking about marketing it, which is why, unfortunately, I can't give you the recipe here. In any case, I've never met a vegetarian Uruguayan. They are proud of their beef. It's their biggest source of exportation, in fact, and for them, a meal is just not a meal without a big ol' slab of meat taking up most of the plate. And they really savor (savor, which I am substituting here for the word, devour) their beef. they take pride in grilling it (the preferred method), serving it for friends when they have them over for dinner, and are perfectly content if there are no side dishes, so long as they have a piece of bread to sandwich it in between. And they are great grillers. We also threw some chorizo Argentino (Argentinian sausage) up on there for fun.








An African-American family enjoys some chicken, and pork ribs. Rubbed and marinated in a "secret family" mustard-based sauce. And some hot dogs for the kiddies.












A Mexican family was busy grilling churrasco (flank steak) and grilled corn husks. Mmm, yummy! They had some warm tortillas nearby with some homemade guacamole, they explained, to make some fajitas.







Another group from Mexico was enjoying chicken wings - - SPICY HOT chicken wings, of course...ay, muy picante!





Hey, who says Americans are lazy? Well, these guys did grill up some boxed frozen hamburgers. Maybe some potato salad on the side...purchased from the local supermarket, I'm guessing.




You know, I had an epiphany that day. I understood something so profound on that special day, that I decided to share here with you all today, and it is this...the grill should stand as the new symbol of unity and equality, for no matter what gets cooked on it, be it marinated veggies with butter and salt and pepper to taste, good old American fare hot dogs and hamburgers, or some warmed tortillas, it is the actions which take place around this great culinary tool - the hugging, the sharing, the caring - among the people who live and love with you, that makes it such a universal and important figure in the history of mankind...


...Although, I suppose if I get truly historical and literal about it, the actual symbol should be fire and not the grill because it's the fact that all people require heat to cook and (voice trails off)....okay then, point taken.



So...I'm gonna go now.



Think about it.



What are you cooking up for dinner tonight?



In the meantime, since I can't share the chimichurri recipe, try out this marinade I made up one day that makes for the best:




Chicken Wing Marinade



1 bag chicken wings

juice of 3 lemons

1 to 1-1/2 c water

1/4 c olive oil

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp teriyaki marinade

2 tsp worcestershire

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp salt

1 tsp thyme

dash of vinegar


Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Place chicken into marinade and refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours. Bake on 380 until cooked all the way through, turning once, then broil last couple of minutes to brown.

Hola Y'all Later!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These all look so delicioso. Ha ha! except the plain old american hamburgers, and you're right probably bought potato salad. Keep the blogs coming, I love them. Anita