Saturday, June 20, 2009

Then and Now

Hola,


As the summer days start to heat up, it's been taking its toll on our mate (mah-tay) sessions. I apparently am made of nothing but sweetness (or whatever mosquitos are attracted to) because I can't be outside for 5 minutes without coming inside with as many bites, therefore isolating my mate sipping to the indoors.


It got me thinking about pesky pests. In Hawai'i, my arch nemesis was, what we called, the 747 of cockroaches. It's name was suitable because these things are huge...and they fly. Thankfully, since being on the mainland, I haven't encountered one of the like.


However, the other night, I found something that not only rivals the 747, but is far more dangerous. Imagine getting bit by one of these suckers (sorry about the resolution, but I, ahem, Dario got a new camera as an early Father's Day present so that shouldn't happen again. And just for references' sake, one of its legs is about as long as one of my fingers)...





I've never in my life seen a mosquito this big! I can remember seeing the little small black mosquitos in Hawai'i, but I've never seen one that more resembled a daddy long legged spider!

Must be a Southern thing. But as far as I can tell, this ain't no Belle, nor is it "charming" in any way.

Aloha Y'all Later!

No comments: